This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

What or Who Is the Holy Spirit?

            Jesus Christ is Risen!  
              And He will return!

           Last week I expressed my struggle with the concept of the Holy Spirit.   I received some wonderful answers from readers, discussed the subject with others I know, and did some further reading.  I discovered what I think is the biggest part of the complexity of the question:  We are the problem.   Jesus told us that he would be leaving us with the Holy Spirit to help us  (JOHN 14:16-18, JOHN 16:7, JOHN 15:26)

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
Romans 8:26-27 (NIV)

          The Holy Spirit has been sent to us by Jesus Christ to help us when we need help.  The Holy Spirit can provide us with answers and give us strength.  The Holy Spirit is our direct line to God the Father. Why are we the problem?  We are in this world and we are small.  It is difficult to grasp completely the nature of the God in Three Persons, or the Trinity, and yet the concept becomes so simple once we accept and live in faith.  As humans we are limited by language, thought, and experience while God is limitless.  There are things about God that we cannot yet understand.

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
Ephesians 5:15-18 (NIV)

          There is irony to language and words. What we say and what others hear are often very different.  Words confine us and attempt to put thoughts into a nice neat little box.  For example, the word "spirit" can mean many things both good and bad.  We must gain wisdom and live filled with the Spirit, as in the Holy Spirit that is of God.   Ironically, in the English language a distilled alcoholic beverage which is 20% or more alcoholic content is also called spirits.  Just think for a moment of all of the different connotations and definitions we find in the word "spirit".  Clarity of mind is so important and we focus on God and become filled with his Holy Spirit we will gain wisdom and begin to see so much more clearly.

All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
1 Corinthians 12:11 (NIV)

        There are many verses in the Bible that talk about the Spirit.  I have only offered some snippets of verse in today's study.  I would encourage to look in your Bible and examine these verses in context in order gain more understanding of what is being referred to when I cite them.  Our individual gifts--the ones we would refer to as spiritual gifts--are manifestations of the Holy Spirit through the vessels which are us.  Our individual gifts have been determined by God, but it is up to us to look within ourselves through the guidance of the Spirit to discover these gifts.

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Ephesians 4:30 (NIV)

        The Holy Spirit is a part of the One God.   The Holy Spirit is a person of the Holy Trinity and can feel grief if we do not obey God and live according to the standards that God requires of us.  If you are a parent you can surely understand how you feel when your child defies your rules and boundaries and lets you down.  Remember, you are one of God's children.

         I have fallen far short of explaining the Holy Spirit adequately and I don't know that I could.  If you truly want to know this Spirit more, then study the above verses in the context of the chapters and even the books. Study, meditation, and prayer are so important in gaining greater wisdom, but don't be discouraged if you can't find all of the answers.  This is a topic that is so much bigger than you or me.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Blessed and Peaceful Easter to you and yours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice that the times in my life that I began to acknowledge the Holy Spirit's existence in my life are the times I spiritually grew the most...

    just as people tend to ignore the fact that we have a real enemy "Satan", many are ignorant of the presence of the Holy Spirit. He is real and is an identity in himself... he is our comforter and teacher when we need to be comforted or taught.

    John 14:26 Jesus said, "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you"

    Yay for the Holy Spirit!!! Happy Easter Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter Lee,
    Indeed The Holy Spirit is a great
    bigger concept then anyone can understand and give an adequate answer. I suppose we all have our own idea as to what the Holy Spirit is all about, we all after all different individuals and are of different creeds and races so what one person believes in another wouldn't,


    I don't really want to bother you about the challenge today but the blogger "boxo'whine has written to say that even having 5 new members (myself included) has had no comments. I have tried and tried but when you click on Make a Comment nothing happens, there is nowhere where one can write a comment.

    Have a restful Easter, you deserve it.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a blessed and wonderful Easter Arlee. Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts and feelings. Easter is, for sure, a time to think about great wonders.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Holy Spirit/Ghost is a big topic indeed. But like anything relating to the Kingdom of God, there are greater revelations of His truths as we grow in Christ. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victor-- A blessed Easter to you as well and a special thanks to you for putting in the time time to give your wonderful explanation of the Holy Spirit for my Bible Study of last week.

    Tori -- That is a wonderful and helpful comment.

    Yvonne -- I think belief comes with understanding-- that's prayer, medition, and study should always be a part of our lives in order to continually keep us close and bring us closer to God.
    Thank you for assisting so well in this challenge with your constant comments to participants. I have been aware of some of the commment problesms. I have been in direct contact with Box O' Whine and she is trying to fix the problem now that she knows. I have also notified another about a problem with their site. If anyone ever notices problems like these, if possible let the blogger know if you can, or let me know so I can try another means of contact.
    Thanks Yvonne -- You've been leaving very nice comments for the others. I added some new ones yesterday.

    Helen -- thank you so much for leaving your message.

    Wanda -- your thoughts are appreciated and your posts have been excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee, I am at my daughter's home and we were talking about how the phrase "being born again" seems a difficult concept to understand for non believers AND believers. Anyhoo, I found scripture in John 3:3-8 where Jesus was answering Nicodemus about being born again of spirit and water. Read the last verse and listen in quiet.You have to set the world aside. I love this verse.The same spirit that comforts and intercedes on our behalf lives in us and yet we cannot see it, but we can feel and hear the holy spirit if we go to that quiet place.

    verse 8:The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.

    I heard Beth Moore say once she doesn't leave the house without asking the Holy Spirit to live in her that day.

    Happy Easter, Dear Friend.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am taking the A to Z challenge! Thanks for including me and I'll be sure to link it to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lee--Thanks for the great post. I needed it this morning. When we left my beloved Saint Louis and left our church I've really struggled. Thanks...

    Have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yo! rLEE-b ~
    Just returned from a church service and wanted to wish ya a very happy and joy-filled Easter, my Brother!
    Yak Later...
    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McStevieboy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah ha! I've finally discovered the person in charge of this A to Z challenge that's sweeping the blogsphere! :), Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you're having a very Happy Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comments. Hope you had a great resurrection Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Study, meditation, and prayer are so important in gaining greater wisdom"--too true! That's about the only way I know how to FEEL and to learn about this subject.

    Thanks for sharing, Lee. And happy Easter to you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is a little something for you on my blog.

    ~ Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of the better attempts at trying to explain that which is, by its very spiritual nature, inexplicable. Do you read CS Lewis? I forget which book of his I read that had the most logical, reasonable explanation of the trinity, although even he said any attempts to "figure it out" and put into words is in no way possible without some inherent fallacy. I think it was "Mere Christianity>"

    The Old Silly

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee